Internship Guidelines and Procedures
If you are a graduate student and are considering participating in an internship, it is important that you understand that the following CSE Internship Guidelines and Procedures apply. These guidelines are based on U-M policy and federal law, and were developed to ensure that students on an internship have appropriate financial support and to avoid issues with funding, insurance and/or immigration policies.
After receiving approval from your faculty advisor to undergo an internship, you must fill out the CSE Internship Notification Form and also send an email notification to email@example.com at least two months prior to the start of your internship. Please see below for additional and more specific guidelines; these apply to all PhD and Master’s students.
- Must be appointed Sept. 1 – Dec. 31 or Jan. 1 – Apr. 30 in order to be eligible for GSRA and/or GSI funding and tuition coverage.
- Student must be in good academic standing and not on financial aid probation or academic probation. Student must be making satisfactory progress towards their degree.
- If the internship is during the FA and/or WN term(s), then PhD candidates must register for at least 8 credit hours in the form of EECS 995. Precandidates must register for 6 or 9 credits (according to how you are being funded; 6 credits if supported as a GSI/GSRA and 9 credits if supported via fellowship funding).
- It is the responsibility of the student and their advisor to determine how tuition, insurance premiums, and any potential stipend will be paid before the internship begins.
- Student Financial Assistance Requests from the College of Engineering may be available to provide tuition support to students who are within their funding guarantee. If you would like to learn if/how you are eligible for this, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that this funding is extremely limited and not all requests are approved.
- If you are an international student, then you must ensure CPT compliance. CPT information can be found here. Please direct all CPT-related questions to the Engineering Career Resource Center at (734) 647-7160 or email@example.com
Domestic PhD Students
International PhD Students
All Master’s Students
Questions about internships
All questions regarding internships may be directed to the CSE Graduate Internships Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.