Home > Academics > Graduate > Current Master’s Students

Information for Current Master’s Students

Please bookmark the CSE graduate program guide (Google Doc) and Course Requirements (Google Sheet) for the most up to date program information. If you have additional questions, please reach out to the Graduate Program Office

Registration and course drop deadlines

The U-M Office of the Registrar website provides access to course registration and drop/add dates. To access this information, visit this webpage. Under “Calendar Type,” select “Registration.” Select the academic term you are interested in from the drop-down menu. Then press “Submit.”

For international master’s students, 8 credit hours is considered full-time (unless one has a GSI appointment, in which case 6 credit hours is considered full-time). More information may be found on the International Center’s website.

FAQs about the Master’s program in CSE

Got a question about the CSE Master’s program and can’t find an answer? You might be able to find an answer to frequently asked questions below.

Course equivalency

What is “course equivalency”? What is it good for?

This is only for satisfying breadth requirements. If you have previously taken a graduate-level class that is very similar to one of the EECS courses that satisfy a breadth requirement, you can request equivalency. If the professor teaching the EECS course, your advisor, and the graduate committee approve, then you can use it to satisfy that breadth requirement. This gives master’s students an additional slot for an elective course. The equivalent course, however, does not satisfy any other requirement. It will not appear on your transcript, it is not calculated into your GPA, and it does not count for credit.

You should request this as soon as possible since it can help you plan which courses to take. The equivalency form (pdf) may be found via this link.

Prepare to Graduate

For specific steps to take regarding submitting a final Plan of Study and the AMDP Election Form (SUGS only), please review the CSE Graduate Programs Guide, “4. Applying to Graduate with the Master’s Degree”.

You need to be sure you apply for graduation by Rackham’s Apply for Graduation deadlines. Information on Commencement, Rackham Graduate Exercises, or the diploma can be found on Rackham’s Commencement Eligibility page.

Finding a research position and/or a job

How can I find a research position and/or a job?

Most paying positions are advertised via [email protected] or [email protected]. You are automatically included in these email groups when you join the department. These may describe positions within the department as GSIs, graders or research assistants; positions with professors in other departments that need computer science expertise; or from outside companies.

The department has a few GSI positions for MS students, but they are quite limited and usually go to people that have previously been IAs or previously taken the course. Most other positions pay by the hour. For research positions within CSE that may not be advertised, you can contact professors that do research that’s interesting to you.

For jobs outside of the university and within the United States, international students may find information via this page on the College of Engineering’s Career Resource Center website.

Mental health and wellness resources

Where can I find mental health resources?

To see a listing of U-M on-campus resources for concerns related to mental health issues, visit the University Health Services Resources for Stress and Mental Health page. Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) is also a great resource for students.

Conflict mediation

During the course of your time in the program, you may have a concern or conflict arise within your lab. While it is normal to have differences of opinion when working with others, it is important to know who to reach out to when you’re unsure of how to resolve a situation. We encourage students to reach out to the Graduate Programs Office and/or the Associate Chair for Graduate Studies to seek assistance, as we are here to offer support and resources for CSE graduate students. Other resources on Conflict Resolution and Student Grievances are offered through Rackham Graduate School, and we encourage students to utilize these confidential resources.

Students who are interested in a safe and confidential resource regarding conflict or other challenges should also consider reaching out to Rackham’s Graduate Student and Program Consultation Services.

Additional resources for current students