Home > Academics > Graduate Programs & Admissions > SUGS Master’s in CSE

SUGS Master’s in CSE

The SUGS master’s degree in CSE is for current University of Michigan undergraduate students in one of the following programs desiring to substantially advance their knowledge and skill in CSE-related fields. The additional one year to obtain the master’s degree will lead to greater professional opportunities and significantly higher salaries.

  • Data Science (Eng or LSA)
  • Computer Science (Eng or LSA)
  • Computer Engineering
  • Computer Science Minor

Program overview

Explore other masters programs at the College of Engineering

The SUGS master’s degree is an accelerated program allowing for the double-counting of graduate-level credits between the undergraduate and graduate careers. The potential to transfer graduate-level credit may also be available. Successful completion of 30 credits of coursework is required. A thesis is optional. Students normally complete the master’s degree in 1 year.

The complete master’s requirements can be found in the CSE Graduate Program Guide (Google Doc).

View a list of courses that satisfy the different MS degree requirements (Google Sheet).

Students admitted to the master’s program may apply to the doctoral program. Admission depends on academic qualifications as well as the availability of openings in the doctoral program.

MS vs. MSE degree

The MS (Master’s of Science) and MSE (Master’s of Science in Engineering) degrees differ mainly in name. The degree requirements are the same. Students with a bachelor’s degree in engineering can elect either degree. Students without an engineering bachelor’s degree are eligible only for the MS.

Apply to a Master’s program

This page has information about graduate school admissions.

Financial aid information

The CSE Division has limited financial aid to award to master’s students at the time of application. On the other hand, master’s students occasionally receive a research or teaching assistantship after they begin their studies. Master’s students are encouraged to apply for fellowships from sources outside the University. See an overview of financial aid resources.

Graduate programs staff

Contact us with any questions about Computer Science and Engineering graduate programs.