Home > Academics > Undergraduate > Undergraduate Programs > What’s the Difference? CS-LSA vs. CS- Eng

What’s the Difference? CS-LSA vs. CS- Eng

The department offers two program paths to a degree in computer science. One is available to students enrolled in the College of LSA and the other is for students enrolled in the College of Engineering. 

NOTE: Due to capacity constraints, students who are admitted to the University of Michigan in Fall 2023 or later must first be selected for the CS major before they can declare the major. This selection policy is the same for students in both the College of Engineering and the College of LSA.

The program requirements are almost exactly the same for both majors (Computer Science – LSA and Computer Science – Eng).

Computer Science Requirements (both programs):

  • Identical Core Computer Science requirements
  • Similar Senior Design experiences
  • Identical Upper Level Elective requirement
  • Slight difference in Flexible Technical Elective hours and list

Declares of both Computer Science – LSA and Computer Science – Eng have availability to the following resources:

  • Engineering Resource Center (assists with all aspects of internships and job placement)
  • CAEN computer account

The differences are in the general requirements required of all LSA or College of Engineering students in order to get a degree from their respective college.


  • Total Number of Credits Required
    • LSA requires 120 credits
    • Engineering requires 128 credits
  • Name of Degree Earned
    • LSA degree is a Bachelor of Science (Computer Science)
    • Engineering degree is a Bachelor of Science Engineering (Computer Science)
  • Double Majors
    • LSA students can more easily double-major with other LSA departments
    • Engineering students can more easily dual with other Engineering programs

These are general comparisons. For more information about the specific requirements in each college, please consult the College of LSA Academics & Requirements page and the Academic Advising Center or the College of Engineering Bulletin and the Engineering Advising Center.

If you still have questions about which program is best for you, please feel free to contact the CSE Undergraduate Advising Office and set up an appointment with an advisor.