Enrollment Policy

For the past several terms, many CS courses have faced significant enrollment pressure resulting in long waitlists. In an effort to ensure all students have opportunity to enroll in courses during the registration period, the CSE division will limit enrollment in a specified set of courses. During the first period of registration (see dates below), students may enroll in at most two courses from the list below. Students will be disenrolled from any additional restricted courses beyond the allowable two. After the initial period of registration has passed, students will be allowed to enroll in additional restricted courses as desired.

As usual, during all of registration, waitlisting will remain unrestricted. Waitlisting will not count in the two-course maximum. Overrides will not be granted during the restriction period.

Current effective term: Fall 2021 (the upcoming April registration period during Winter 2021)

Restricted courses: EECS 367, 381, 388, 440, 441, 442, 445, 467, 475, 476, 477, 481, 482, 483, 484, 485, 486, 487, 489, 490, 491, 492, 493, 494, 495, 497, 498.003, and 498.006. Additional sections of 398/498 Special Topics courses may be added; check this site again before you register.

Students may enroll in more than 2 restricted courses beginning Thursday, April 15, 2021.

If you expect to graduate in Fall (December) 2021, and need a third course from this set to do so, fill out this form to have your case reviewed.

Enrollment policy FAQs

  1. Why are you enacting this rule?
    There is a shortage of seats in CSE courses, and we would like to ensure that all students have an opportunity to enroll in some of them. In the current system, students with earlier registration dates often sign up for more courses than they plan to take, then drop some of them during the first week of class. This left more students on wait lists for longer than needed.
  2. What if I plan to graduate this term and need more than 2 restricted courses to graduate?
    We recommend joining at least 3 waitlists so that you diversify your chances of obtaining a seat in a course that fulfills your requirement(s). We will do our best to get you into enough classes to fulfill your graduation requirements, but we cannot guarantee that you will get into your top choice(s). Please remember to fill out the Google form above.
  3. What should I do if I want to add myself to a wait list, but the wait list for that class is not yet active?
    Monitor the wait list and add yourself to the wait list as soon as it becomes active.
  4. Does being on a wait list count toward my 2-course limit?
  5. What if I’d like to take more than 2 courses from the restricted set?
    Enroll in at most two of these courses, then add yourself to the wait list for the remaining courses. After the restriction period has ended (see timeline above), you may enroll in as many classes as you’d like.
  6. What will happen if I enroll in more than 2 restricted courses during the restriction period?
    You will receive a warning e-mail instructing you to disenroll from the excess courses. If you remain enrolled in more than 2 restricted courses after the warning, the Registrar will disenroll you from restricted course(s) until you are within the limit.