Apply for graduate study in CSE
Click here to apply >
How to apply
Online application instructions > Frequently asked questions >
Beginning the 2022-2023 admissions cycle, GRE scores are not considered in the admissions review of Ph.D. or Master’s applications.
2022-2023 New Faculty
The following is a list of new CSE faculty members who are not yet listed in the portal but recruiting Ph.D. students for Fall 2023:
- Elizabeth Bondi-Kelly, Research Interests: artificial intelligence for social impact, multi-agent systems, machine learning, data science
- Wei Hu, Research Interests: Theoretical foundations of machine learning, including deep learning, representation learning, and optimization
- Ryan Huang, Research Interests: Operating systems, distributed systems, cloud and mobile computing, software dependability, program analysis
- Dhruv Jain, Research Interests: Accessibility, Human Computer Interaction, Sound Sensing, Augmented & Virtual Reality, Wearable Computing
- Lin Ma, Research Interests: database management systems, machine learning for systems
- Maggie Makar, Research Interests: Causal inference, machine learning, healthcare
- George Tzimpragos, Research Interests: Computer architecture, new models of computation, computing with emerging devices
- Stella Yu, Research Interests: Computer Vision, Machine Learning, Robotics
In general, if you do not see a specific faculty member listed in the dropdown, please include their name in another area of the application (e.g. the statement of purpose or the Additional Information section). The application can be searched by faculty using keywords and they will be able to find applicants that indicated their names within the application.
Please note that Michigan Engineering is no longer requiring the GRE as part of the Ph.D. application process. Unfortunately, CSE has exhausted the number of fee waivers we have been allocated for Ph.D. applications and will not be reviewing any further fee waiver requests.
Unfortunately, our program is unable to provide fee waivers for Master’s applicants. We recommend prospective applicants check out the fee waivers offered by Rackham Graduate School.
Support for Iranian PhD Applicants (Fall 2023)
In light of ongoing political violence and tensions in Iran, Iranian applicants to the CSE doctoral program for Fall 2023 can receive the following accommodations:
- We encourage students to apply as early as possible, but we will continue considering applications on a rolling basis after the December 15th deadline
- Flexibility regarding the timing for submission of English proficiency test scores
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about these accommodations, we’re happy to work with you.
|PhD Application Deadline||Master’s Application Deadline|
|December 15th||January 15th|
|For full admission and financial aid consideration, applications to the doctoral program must be completed and submitted by December 15th.||For full admission consideration, applications to the master’s program must be completed and submitted by January 15th.|
At the graduate level, admitted students are notified via email from February through April. If accepting the offer of admission, doctoral admits must email their signed acceptance to email@example.com and respond to the email from Rackham Admissions by April 15th. Master’s admits accepting the offer must respond to the email from Rackham Admissions by May 1st.
Sequential Undergraduate/Graduate Study (SUGS) program
SUGS is open to current U of M undergraduate students only.
SUGS program applications must be submitted and completed by:
- January 15 (fall term only)
- October 1 (winter term)
Graduate Admissions Requirements
We expect applicants to have earned their bachelor’s degrees by the time they matriculate, and to possess strong backgrounds in computer science or a related discipline.
- If your degree is from a non-US institution, verify if your degree meets our bachelor’s degree requirement here
- If you have a MS or PhD in computer science or an equivalent field from another institution, you cannot apply for the same degree at the University of Michigan
Successful applicants usually have an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.5/4.0 and three strong letters of recommendation. International students must demonstrate English proficiency. Further information may be found here. Students admitted to the PhD program generally exceed these standards. In addition, students admitted to the Ph.D. program often have prior research experience or have demonstrated research aptitude.
We guarantee Ph.D. students full funding as long as they are making satisfactory progress towards the degree. Admission to the M.S. program is not accompanied by funding, but there are opportunities for financial support after beginning the program.
Graduate Programs Contact
Contact us with any questions about Computer Science and Engineering graduate programs.