Home > Academics > Graduate > Graduate Programs > Sequential Undergraduate/Graduate Studies

Sequential Undergraduate/Graduate Studies in CSE

The CSE Sequential Undergraduate/Graduate Studies (SUGS) program is an accelerated program that enables students to complete their Master’s degree in one additional year following the completion of their Bachelor’s degree. This Accelerated Master’s Degree Program (AMDP/SUGS) allows students to complete requirements for both degrees in five years. Many students who enroll in this program plan to enter industry but seek additional intellectual depth beyond the bachelor’s degree.

Students who wish to pursue a CSE master’s degree at a slower pace should apply to the regular (i.e. non-SUGS) CSE master’s program and students who plan to pursue a Ph.D. should apply directly to the CSE Ph.D. program.

Eligibility: Current University of Michigan undergraduate students studying Computer Science-LSA or Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Data Science, or a minor in Computer Science are eligible to apply to the CSE Sequential Undergraduate/Graduate Studies (SUGS) program.

Engineering students, SJTU-JI, and MDDP students with dual majors are not eligible for SUGS. However, LSA double majors can apply for SUGS.

Program overview

Explore other Master’s programs at the College of Engineering

The SUGS Master’s degree is an accelerated program allowing for the double-counting of graduate-level credits between the undergraduate and graduate programs. Successful completion of 30 credits of coursework is required. A thesis is optional.

SUGS students must enroll in Rackham for at least two full terms (at least 9 credit hours each term), paying Rackham tuition.

CSE SUGS students can bring in a maximum of 15 credits into Rackham. 

  • Students can double count up to 9 credits of technical or free elective BSE requirements. Double counted credits can only come from graduate level courses that may be used towards a CSE Master’s degree. Approved graduate level courses may be found here. Double counted credits may be divided/split (e.g. if you have three courses at 4 credits each – 12 credits total – you may use up to 9 credits from those courses).
  • Students can transfer up to 6 credits into the Rackham graduate degree. These transfer credits cannot be used for any portion of the undergraduate degree. Transfer credits may not be divided/split up in any way.

Prerequisite Requirements to Apply: 

  • Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.6 or higher at the time of application submission. 
  • Must maintain that GPA through the completion of the undergraduate degree. 
  • Must have completed EECS 281 and EECS 270 or EECS 370 with a grade of B+ or better by the application deadline. 
  • Must have taken at least four EECS courses from 370, 376, or any EECS courses that are ULCS Elective or Flexible CS Technical Elective at the 300-level or above by the end of the first semester of the senior year. For any EECS elective class taken at the 300-level or above, a grade of B+ or better must be earned.
  • Must only earn one Bachelor’s degree – Data Science (Eng or LSA), Computer Science (Eng or LSA), Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or be minoring in Computer Science.
    • Please note: Engineering students, SJTU-JI, and MDDP students with dual majors are not eligible for SUGS. However, LSA double majors can apply for SUGS. 


  • As students head into their junior year, they may wish to meet with a CSE Graduate Programs Office staff member to discuss their plan for double-counted courses. Or, an email may be sent to csegradstaff@umich.edu with any questions.  
  • Mid-senior year, students should apply for admission to the graduate program by submitting:
    • Rackham Graduate Application
    • Three letters of recommendation (at least one letter must come from a core CSE faculty member)
    • A personal statement
    • A statement of purpose
    • An unofficial copy of your transcript
    • Completed Accelerated Master’s Degree Program Election Form (including courses to be double counted, but does not need to be signed) – this form can be found through Rackham’s Forms page.
  • To begin SUGS in the Fall term, the deadline is January 15th (for undergrads graduating in the Winter term)
    • SUGS applications will be reviewed and admitted students will be notified sometime in March. There is no need to contact faculty during this review period.
  • To begin SUGS in the Winter term, the deadline is the previous October 1st (for undergrads graduating in the Fall term) 

Additional Information

More information about the SUGS program. Student must meet all Rackham requirements for the SUGS master’s degree (rackham.umich.edu/academic-policies/section5/).

The complete Master’s requirements can be found in the CSE Graduate Program Guide (Google Doc).

View a list of courses that satisfy the different MS degree requirements (Google Sheet).

Students admitted to the Master’s program may apply to the doctoral program. Admission depends on academic qualifications as well as the availability of openings in the doctoral program.

For questions regarding the SUGS program, please contact the CSE Graduate Programs Office at csegradstaff@umich.edu

MS vs. MSE degree

The MS (Master’s of Science) and MSE (Master’s of Science in Engineering) degrees differ mainly in name. The degree requirements are the same. Students with a bachelor’s degree in engineering can elect either degree. Students without an engineering bachelor’s degree are eligible only for the MS.

Apply to a Master’s program

This page has information about graduate school admissions.

Financial aid information

The CSE Division has limited financial aid to award to Master’s students at the time of application. On the other hand, Master’s students occasionally receive a research or teaching assistantship after they begin their studies. Master’s students are encouraged to apply for fellowships from sources outside the University. See an overview of financial aid resources.