Home > Academics > Undergraduate > Undergraduate Advising > Registration, Enrollment, and Override Requests

Registration, Enrollment, and Override Requests

If you need assistance gaining permission into an EECS course, please fill out the relevant form:

Type of student: Follow these steps:
Undeclared student, CSE undergraduate student, or CSE graduate studentRequest permission into an Undergraduate CSE course (EECS 400-level or below)
To gain access to a Graduate CSE course (EECS 500-lvl or above), contact the instructor directly.
To gain access to a class outside of EECS, contact that department directly.
To request permission into EECS 280 without the necessary prerequisites, students must take and pass the Diagnostic Exam. See details below.
Non-CSE graduate studentRequest permission into an Undergraduate CSE course (EECS 400-level or below) (link will open August 19, 2024 for FA24 Registration)
To gain access to a Graduate CSE course (EECS 500-lvl or above), contact the instructor directly.

Enrollment policy

Two-course limit

Due to large enrollments in many CS courses, we aim to ensure that all students have an opportunity to enroll in courses during the registration period. The CSE division limits enrollment in a specific set of courses during the registration period. During the first phase of registration (4/8-4/25/24), students may enroll in at most two courses from the list below. Students will be disenrolled from any additional restricted courses beyond the allowable two.

After the initial phase of registration has passed, students will be allowed to enroll in additional restricted courses, as desired.

As usual, during all of registration, waitlisting will remain unrestricted. Waitlisting will not count in the two-course maximum.

Restricted courses: EECS 367, 388, 390, 440, 441, 442, 445, 448, 449, 467, 471, 475, 476, 477, 480, 481, 482, 483, 484, 485, 486, 487, 489, 490, 491, 492, 493, 494, 495, 497.

Students may enroll in more than 2 restricted courses beginning April 26, 2024. If you expect to graduate in Fall (December) 2024, and need a third course from this set to do so, fill out this form to have your case reviewed.

Two-course limit FAQs

Why are you enacting a two-course limit rule?
There is a shortage of seats in CSE courses, and we would like to ensure that all students have an opportunity to enroll in some of them.

What if I plan to graduate this term and need more than 2 restricted courses to graduate?
Please fill out this form if you are registering for your final semester and you need to take more than 2 restricted courses in order to graduate. You will be able to register on your own and we will not disenroll you from your required courses.

What should I do if I want to add myself to a wait list, but the wait list for that class is not yet active?
Monitor the wait list and add yourself to the wait list as soon as it becomes active.

Does being on a wait list count toward my 2-course limit?

What will happen if I enroll in more than 2 restricted courses during the restriction period?
You will receive a warning e-mail instructing you to disenroll from the excess courses. If you remain enrolled in more than 2 restricted courses after the warning, the Registrar will disenroll you from restricted course(s) until you are within the limit.

    Two Attempt Limit

    Students are limited to attempting each of the three 200-level courses (EECS 203, EECS 280, EECS 281) at most twice. An attempt includes, but is not limited to, a notation of any letter grade (“A-F”), withdraw (“W”), Pass/Fail (“P”/” F”), Transfer (“T”), or Incomplete (“I”) posted on your U-M transcript. Any attempts from WN20 through SS21 terms are not counted in this limit. If you are seeking a third (or higher) attempt in EECS 203, EECS 280, or EECS 281, please submit a petition and include the following information: why your prior attempts were unsuccessful, and concrete steps you will take and changes you will make to succeed in your potential next attempt at the course. Please note: an advising appointment to discuss your plan is required in addition to submitting a petition.

    Incomplete Grade

    If you currently have an Incomplete grade due to an Honor Code violation, you may proceed with the EECS coursework via override. Please submit an override request to enroll in courses that your Incomplete grade serves as a prerequisite to. If this Honor Code Incomplete is in a pre-declaration requirement, you can proceed with declaring your CSE major once all other pre-declaration requirements are met. However, if you receive a final grade below a C after an Honor Code violation, you are required to retake the course for a C or higher letter grade. This retake must be completed as soon as possible, and can be taken alongside other EECS courses, even if your failed class typically serves as a prerequisite. If an override is needed, please submit one here and attach any communication about your Honor Code decision in the form.For questions about your case, please contact [email protected].

    MDE/Capstone Registration

    Please note that many CSE MDE/Capstone courses form teams and begin accelerated work early in the semester. Attendance early in the term is critical for success. Because of this, many MDE/Capstone courses will stop allowing enrollment in their courses September 6, 2024. Please check Wolverine Access Notes for specific course details.

    Override/permission FAQs

    How do I request permission for a CSE course? What is the enforced policy?  
    To request permission for a CSE course, click here. In the CSE department, the prerequisite policy is strictly enforced; no overrides will be granted without having first met all necessary prerequisites. Concurrent enrollment in a prerequisite and its follow-on course is prohibited. Make sure that you check the enforced prerequisites via Wolverine Access.

    What if I need more than one course override when I request via the link?
    Please submit one entry per course; do not list multiple courses in one request.

    Do I need to be specific about the sections that I request? Can I request a change later?
    If you select “ALL”, you will be issued course overrides for any sections that have open seats. If you list your preferences, and your preferred sections are full, you will be added to the waitlist based on the first choice of your preference list. All issued overrides will not be changed if you find a section that works better at a later time.

    When will I receive an override if I am granted one? 
    Your override (if granted) will be sent to you on the day of your registration appointment, if your request is submitted prior to registration. Please make sure that you list the registration appointment time correctly on the request.

    Can I request overrides for Upper-Level CS courses if I am not declared as a CS major but am planning to declare soon?
    We are not able to provide you permission into upper-level restricted courses without declaration; request to declare in CSE.

    Please also note that students who declare after the first day of the classes in the term, will not be granted permission to ULCS courses in the same term.

    How do I request permission for 280 without the enforced prerequisite?
    Students must take and pass the diagnostic project. Students need to achieve a score of 50 within three attempts to be directed to the CPA for evaluations. If a score of 50 is achieved, students must request permission into EECS 280 without the enforced prerequisite.

    How do I request permission if I plan on taking prerequisite courses at another institution? 
    To request permission for a CSE course with prerequisite(s) taken at another institution, click here. Be sure to attach the (un)official transcript from the institution, or screenshot of enrollment to prove that your prerequisite course is in progress.

    How do I request to enroll in my one and only CS Minor Elective? 
    CS minor students no longer need to request permission to do this. CS minor students can enroll in a maximum of one CS minor approved elective on their own.

    How do I request an override as a Non-CSE Graduate student? 
    To request permission for a CSE course as a non-CSE graduate student, click here. Please note that EECS undergraduate courses are to serve the high demand of the undergraduate population. The decision will not be made until the beginning of classes.

    I am currently on the waitlist; can I request an override to enroll in the course? 
    We do not issue overrides to bypass the waitlist. You will need to stay on the waitlist. Please note that waitlists are controlled by the Discussion section, not the Lecture.

    I am on the waitlist and am worried about not being able to enroll; will the office expand capacity?
    The capacity of a course is determined by the physical space of a room and the Undergraduate Advising Office does not have the authority to expand capacity in any course.

    Where can I find the special topic courses and their classifications?
    Special Topic Courses are listed on the website. Special Topics Courses fulfilling a specific requirement will be moved to the correct line of your degree audit later in the term. 

    How do I register for over 18 credits during a fall/winter term?
    Engineering students can find instructions here. CS-LSA students should reach out to their LSA advisor.

    Can non-degree seeking students enroll in CSE courses? No, we do not grant overrides for non-degree seeking students, including exchange students.]

    I already have a bachelor’s degree. Can I pursue a second bachelor’s degree through CSE? No, we do not accept second bachelor’s degree students in our department. We encourage you to explore our graduate programs instead.

      Registration FAQs

      What is a class number? A class number is a unique identifying number that is assigned to each class and is specific to each term. Class numbers are usually five digits. Class numbers and information on using class numbers are available from the Registrar’s printed or online Time Schedule or from Wolverine Access.

      How do I register for classes that require more than one component, such as a lecture and discussion, that must be taken together? If a class has multiple required components, such as a lecture and discussion, the components will be linked in the system. When you add the primary component (designated with a “P” in the Time Schedule), the system will prompt you to select the secondary component (designated with an “S”) before it enrolls you in the class. It does not allow you to enroll in one component without enrolling in the other component.

      How do I find out if a class is open? To find out if a class is open or closed, select Registration, Search for Classes from the menu. Type the class number in the Class number field, and click Search. The system displays the Class Details panel, which shows the number of open seats. If the number of seats open is zero (0), the class is closed.

      How do I waitlist a class?
      If a class has a waitlist available, the Waitlist Okay option will appear as a checkbox on the Class Options dialog box. This dialog box is one of four dialog boxes that appears when you drop, add or swap a class in Wolverine Access.

      How do I register for a class that requires special permission or consent? If a class requires consent, you need to go to the department to request permission. The department enters a permission number into the system that allows you to enroll in the class. Once the permission number has been entered, you may add the class just as you would any other class.

      What is the difference between a regular section, CSP section, Focus on Fundamentals section, and beyond in the EECS core courses? Please see details about special sections entail.

        Enrollment resources

        Academic Calendar

        Atlas Schedule Builder

        Backpacking/Registration FAQs

        Help: Troubleshooting Registration Warnings or Error Messages

        Help: Student Business Help Menu

        How to Backpack Classes

        How to Change a Class to Pass/Fail

        How to Drop a Class

        How to Enroll/Add a Class

        How to Late Drop a Class

        How to Resolve a Time Conflict When Registering for a Class

        How to Swap a Class

        How to Use Class Permission/Override

        How to View an Enrollment Appointment

        How to Waitlist a Class

        My Academic Requirements and Degree Audit Reports


        Viewing Grades

        Viewing Transfer Credit on an Unofficial Transcript

        What-If Report

        Wolverine Access Student Center Overview