Frequently Asked Advising Questions

If you have a question that isn’t answered on this page, please contact us at

How do I declare a major? When can I declare?

If you meet ALL of these requirements and are ready to declare, please fill out our declaration request form. A staff member will check your eligibility and let you know the outcome. For more detailed questions about CSE, students can schedule an advising appointment or come to virtual drop-in advising.

If you would like to declare Multiple Dependent Degree Program (MDDP), please schedule a regular advising appointment instead.

Once you declare, you will be automatically added to the departmental e-mail list. This list is used to disseminate information to students regarding registration deadlines, policy changes, job opportunities, scholarship competitions, and general departmental announcements.

How and when can I drop/add a course?

CE, CS-Eng, and DS-Eng Students:

After you have registered through Wolverine Access Web registration, any changes in your schedule including courses and/or section changes can be made using Web registration for the first three weeks of the term.

Note: During the first three weeks of classes (two in half terms) students may drop a class without a “W.” Even if a course states that you must attend the first few class sessions to maintain your enrollment and you do not attend the class at all, you must still use the Web registration system to indicate the drop.

After the third week, students can request a late drop/add/edit in Wolverine Access and receive a “W” on their transcript.

Please find drop/add/edit deadlines here.

Note to All Students : Lack of attendance does not automatically drop you from a course or a term. If you do not go through the proper procedure to withdraw from a term, you will receive an “ED” for the courses you are registered for and do not attend. This unofficial drop is computed as an “E” in your grade point average. Neither credit toward program (CTP) nor honor points (MHP) are earned.

How do I withdraw from a term?

CS-LSA Students:

LSA students must follow the College of LSA’s term withdrawal procedures. Contact the LSA Academic Advising Center in 1255 Angell Hall for details.

CE, CS-Eng, and DS-Eng Students:

You may withdraw from the term until the last day of classes. If you must drop all courses in the current term and it is prior to the first day of classes, you may withdraw using Wolverine Access. Otherwise, you must complete a withdrawal form (available in 145 Chrysler Center). If you withdraw after the ninth week of the current term, you cannot attend the next full term (not including Spring/Summer). Please contact the Scholastic Standing Committee for more information.

Note to All Students: Lack of attendance does not automatically drop you from a course or a term. If you do not go through the proper procedure to withdraw from a term, you will receive an “ED” for the courses you are registered for and do not attend. This unofficial drop is computed as an “E” in your grade point average. Neither credit toward program (CTP) nor honor points (MHP) are earned. A “W” will appear on the transcript when it occurs after the first three weeks of the term (two weeks for a half term). In any case, the Scholastic Standing Committee or the Assistant Dean for Students may specify conditions for readmission. Disenrollment fees vary. A fee schedule, including deadlines, is printed in the University Time Schedule.

How do I modify a class pass/fail?

CE, CS-Eng, and DS-Eng Students:

Students have the option to take General Electives and Intellectual Breadth courses P/F, under the following conditions, set by the College of Engineering. Classes can be switched to pass/fail in the first three weeks of classes in Wolverine Access. After the drop/add deadline, a late edit request is required.

Note:  Instructors are not notified of students’ pass/fail elections; they will report grades as usual. A grade of “A” through “C-” in a course is considered satisfactory and will be recorded as “P” (Pass). A grade of “D” or lower is considered unsatisfactory and will be recorded as “F” (Fail). The pass/fail total is not to exceed four courses or 14 credit hours and is limited to two courses per term or one in a half term (Any course offered only on a pass/fail basis will not be counted in this total).

The class I want to take is full – should I waitlist? How do I do that? What if I can’t join the waitlist?

If you meet the prerequisites for the course but the section you wish to join is full, please add yourself to the electronic waitlist via Wolverine Access. The department makes every attempt to accommodate these waitlists and place students in sections that work for them, but you should always have a back-up plan. You should attend the first day of classes to determine whether or not there will be space for you in the class. Some waitlists are not cleared until after the first day of classes, please be patient! You can always email the EECS Undergraduate Advising Office about the status of a full section or waitlist.

When a waitlist is cleared, you will receive an e-mail letting you know that you can register. Then use Wolverine Access to add the course to your schedule (note: you will need to drop from the waitlist first).

Note: Once you receive a waitlist override or permission, you must use Wolverine Access to add the course to your schedule. Electronic overrides and permissions have expiration dates. You must add the course by midnight of the day it expires.

Can I take an EECS course if I don’t have the prerequisites?

Prerequisites and grade requirements are in place to be sure that participating students have the skills they will need to succeed in the class. If you have a special circumstance that you think warrants an exception, you may petition to register. The Chief Program Advisor (CPA) for your program will review your academic record and the information you provide and make a recommendation. The instructor for the course will make the final decision based on the CPA’s recommendation and the Advising Office will notify you of the decision via email. You do not need to make an appointment with the CPA to initiate this process, but you are welcome to do so if you would like to discuss your situation in person.

Please be aware that this process can sometimes take several days to weeks. Please start the process early!

Note: Permissions will not be granted based on instructor consent alone. You will still be asked to complete the form and it will still be reviewed by the CPA and sent to the instructor so that they can make an informed decision based on your advisor’s recommendation. Your instructor may still allow you to enroll in the course, but skipping this step will delay the process for you.

How do I audit/visit a class?

The Undergraduate Advising Office does not allow undergraduate students to audit EECS courses. For information on how to audit non-EECS courses, please refer to LSA and CoE guidelines.

Can I obtain transfer credit for a course I take at a community college or university other than UM-Ann Arbor?

CE, CS-Eng, and DS-Eng Students:

Yes, students can take courses at community colleges and other universities and receive transfer credit. You can also direct your questions to the EECS Advising Office or the College of Engineering Office of Recruitment and Admissions, 153 Chrysler Center. Remember, at least 50 total credits must be taken in residence at UM-Ann Arbor in order to be eligible to graduate. See the EECS Advising Office if you are concerned about this requirement.

If you would like to have a course evaluated for potential EECS course credit (for example you took CS 367 at the University of Wisconsin and you want to know if it will count as an EECS course here at UM-Ann Arbor) you should make an appointment in the EECS Undergraduate Advising Office to discuss your plans. You can see which courses have already been evaluated for credit here. HOWEVER, even if a course has already been evaluated, you must contact the Office of Recruitment and Admissions to find out what materials you need to submit in order to get credit.

CS-LSA Students:

  • Only LSA, through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions in the Student Activities Building, can grant you transfer credit. A CS advisor cannot grant you LSA credits. If you are a currently enrolled student, you must see an LSA general advisor to discuss the possibility of receiving transfer credit, and also go to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for information about transfer equivalencies and credit application forms. If you are an entering student, your transfer credits are evaluated automatically as part of the admissions process.
  • There is an online database of courses that have already been approved for credit. The CS program does not have any pre-approved courses at other schools. For more information on transfer credits, please refer to the LSA Student Academic Advising Office‘s section on transfer issues.
  • It is very unlikely that you will be granted credit for a specific CS course here. It is much easier to transfer credits in courses such as Calculus I, II, and III, and your distribution courses. We do not recommend taking CS classes elsewhere, as they are only rarely equivalent courses, even if the title and syllabus appear to be similar.
  • If LSA grants credits for a CS class taken elsewhere, the credit will most likely appear as departmental credit on your transcript. For example, the notation “EECS 200X” for 3 credits would mean that LSA is giving you 3 transfer credits which are considered to be at the 200-level, but are not equivalent to any specific course here.
  • Note this can only be done after you take the course, and you do need to make an appointment so that we can discuss this with due consideration, in person. You can make this appointment either as an enrolled student or as an incoming transfer student (make this appointment after your transfer orientation has been completed, so that you and your CS advisor know what LSA has granted you credit for during the admission process).

How do I arrange an independent study?

Typically a faculty member in the EECS Department supervises an independent study, also known as “Directed Research.” If you are interested in a particular professor’s research area, you may ask that professor if it is possible to do an independent study with them. It helps if you have taken a course that the professor taught, have done very well in that course, and have gotten to know the professor a bit. If you have an idea what you would like to work on, be prepared to present your idea to the professor and discuss what work you would like to do. EECS 499 is open only to students with senior standing.

  • Pick up a Directed Study form in the EECS Undergraduate Advising Office (3415 EECS or 2808 BBB).
  • Fill out the form completely, including a brief description of the independent study project. Have the form signed by the professor you will be working with and turn it into the Undergraduate Advising Office.
  • Register for the appropriate section of EECS 499 (ask your instructor for their independent study section number or reference the list posted in the Undergraduate Advising Office).
  • The Chief Program Advisor may review the form and decide how the course will be applied toward your degree requirements. Generally, EECS 499 will count toward your Flexible Technical Elective Credit Requirements.

Note: Up to 4 credit hours of independent study (EECS 499 or other department’s independent study courses) may be used as flexible technical elective credit.

Can I participate in an honors program?

I am interested in double majoring. What do I need to do?

1. To obtain two bachelor’s degrees in the College of Engineering, a student must complete the requirements of both degree programs. In addition, the student must complete at least a minimum of 14 credit hours in pertinent technical subjects over the number required. The credit hours that are used to satisfy each of the two programs also must satisfy the cumulative grade point average requirement of 2.00 or more. Approval by involved departments is required.

2. To obtain an additional bachelor’s degree in the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts (LSA) or the School of Music, please make an appointment with an LSA advisor to discuss the process and reasons for doing this.

How do I initiate the graduation process?

Degree Audits / Concentration Releases:
Early in the semester you intend to graduate you will receive an email from the EECS Undergraduate Advising Office. Follow the links to complete the Exit Poll and Graduation Audit / Concentration Release Request. If you wish, you can make an appointment (if you suspect there may be a problem or have special circumstances to discuss), but an appointment is usually not necessary. You will receive email confirmation from the Advising Office that your currently elected courses will fulfill graduation requirements in 1-2 weeks.

You must also apply via Wolverine Access. There are graduation application deadlines — please be aware of these and ask at the Advising Office if you are not sure!

All EECS students are encouraged to attend both the University of Michigan (in the stadium in the Spring) and the College of Engineering (in Chrisler Arena) ceremonies. Visit the University and College of Engineering graduation web sites to learn more about graduation activities.

Note to All Students: You will need to indicate the address to which you would like your diploma mailed. Make sure this address will be valid for at least 2 months following your graduation date. Please file for the final audit early in the semester you plan to graduate. If you change your graduation plans after filing out the final audit form, please notify the Undergraduate Advising Office.

I am a CS-LSA student and I have a question about my LSA requirements (distribution, foreign language, race & ethnicity, ECB). Who should I talk to?

You should see an LSA “general advisor” to discuss these requirements. You can make an appointment with a general advisor by calling 764-0332 or by going to the reception desk at at the LSA Academic Advising Center in 1255 Angell Hall.

I am a Computer Science-LSA student but I am taking classes in Engineering (or vice-versa), whose deadlines and rules do I follow?

You follow the deadlines and rules of the school you are enrolled in (your “home school”), regardless of the college from whom you are taking classes.

Where can I find descriptions of the requirements for Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and Data Science?

What is the CSE grade policy?

Among all College Core, Program Core, Technical Electives, and Technical Communications courses, a grade of C or above is required. A grade of C- or below is not acceptable in these courses for students majoring in one of the CSE programs (Computer Engineering, Computer Science-Engineering, Data Science–Engineering, Computer Science-LSA).

Grade grievance information is available through the College of Engineering here. LSA students can find grade grievance information here.

What is the SUGS/AMDP program? How do I apply?

Contact the graduate program of interest for information.

Where can I get advice about career planning, writing resumes, and also set up job interviews with potential employers?

How do I make an advising appointment with a Program Advisor? When are appointments available?

Click here for information on scheduling advising appointments. Advising Office staff are available to answer your questions on a walk-in basis. Faculty advisors generally adhere to specific schedules and it is necessary to call and schedule an appointment if you need to meet with them. If you are unable to make it to a scheduled advising appointment, please call to cancel. Failure to cancel an appointment means that time slot is unavailable to other students. Please be considerate of other students and the program advisors!

When should I make an advising appointment?

It’s a good idea to stop in and see an advisor each term even if you know what you want to take. Careful planning and frequent review of requirements will help ensure that you will have no problems at graduation time.

Are there tutoring services available?

Click here for a list of tutoring resources.

What is a Co-op?

The Cooperative education program provides students with the opportunity to gain hands-on experience and practical skills in a work environment before they graduate. The Engineering Career Resource Center can help you decide if Co-op is right for you.